POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2008 12:52:33
Message: <48cbefd0@news.povray.org>
somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> >   Finding a security weakness and then *not* exploiting it for your own
> > selfish purposes but instead reporting the weakness so that they will
> > patch it justifies it.

> If the end justifies the means, am I to assume you also agree that breaking
> into people's homes to expose their security flaws and pretend-robbing
> people at gunpoint to expose their unprotectedness are also just dandy, and
> moreover a good deed, provided you don't actually steal anything?

  Yes, those two things are completely equivalent.

  Breaking into someone's home usually causes material damage which costs
money. Breaking into a computer system usually doesn't.

  Breaking into someone's home exploits a security flaw which everyone
*already knows*. There's nothing to prove. It's up to the owner of the
house to decide whether he wants to fix it or not. Breaking into a computer
system exploits a flaw which is *not known* by the system administrators.
Such discovered security holes are usually patched as soon as possible
(only stupid sysadmins would ignore such a security hole).

  Upgrading the security of a house is expensive. Security upgrades of
a computer system are usually part of the software license (ever heard
of free security patches?)

  A malicious robber breaking into a house causes damage to the owner
of that house only. A malicious hacker breaking into a university computer
can potentially cause damage to thousands of people.

  Yes, I see how these two situations are completely comparable to each
other.

--
                                                          - Warp